The University of Ottawa takes immense pride in the rich tapestry of its international student community. In a bid to further embrace diversity and promote academic excellence, the university has introduced a renewable scholarship program tailored for students hailing from African nations. This initiative is aimed at those individuals who have gained admission to the university commencing in the Fall 2024 term (with a September start date) or beyond. To qualify for this scholarship, applicants should have achieved an impressive admission average of 80% or higher, be pursuing their studies in English, and be enrolled in one of the specified undergraduate programs within the faculties of Engineering, Science, or Social Sciences.
This scholarship represents a substantial financial commitment to supporting the educational aspirations of these international students. Award recipients can anticipate a substantial reduction in their tuition fees, ranging from $12,000 to $20,000 for entrance scholarships and $17,500 to $25,000 for excellence scholarships, depending on the academic program pursued. This gesture underscores the university’s commitment to fostering academic excellence and providing greater access to quality education for talented students from African nations.
Eligible students will find the scholarship application process to be seamless, as it operates on an automatic allocation basis upon their enrolment at the University of Ottawa. The scholarship funds will be directly applied to their tuition fees, ensuring they can concentrate on their studies without financial concerns.
It’s important to note that the Entrance Scholarship cannot be combined with the Excellence Scholarship for African Students Studying in English. This distinction ensures that students receive the scholarship that best aligns with their academic achievements and circumstances.
The scholarship program at the University of Ottawa stands out as one of the most generous in Canada. It is designed to not only reward exceptional academic achievements before entering university but also to acknowledge and support continued excellence throughout a student’s full-time study journey at the university. This new scholarship initiative is particularly significant for African students studying in English, granting them access to various pilot programs across three faculties at a significantly reduced tuition cost.
Excellence scholarships are granted through a competitive selection process. These scholarships are awarded to the top candidates with an admission average of 90% or higher, provided they have applied for admission by April 1, 2024, and their admission process has been completed by April 15, 2024. Priority is given to candidates who have designated the University of Ottawa as their first choice. To ensure diversity and equitable distribution, each faculty strives to award an equal number of scholarships to deserving candidates. Additionally, recipients of these scholarships are required to commence their academic programs in September, aligning with the university’s academic calendar.
The entrance and excellence scholarship will provide incoming students with a four-year scholarship to cover the partial cost of their university tuition.
All amounts are in Canadian dollars. These scholarships may be renewed for up to 12 terms.
Requirements For The University Of Ottawa Undergraduate Scholarships
All eligible students are considered for this award and will be notified at the time of their admission. Although no application is required for this scholarship, recipients will be asked to submit proof of citizenship of a country of territory in Africa before receiving their first installments.
The applicant must:
- be an international student with a valid study permit;
- have citizenship from one of the countries in Africa;
- be enrolled full-time; and
- For the Entrance scholarship: have an admission average of 89.99% or lower once converted in our grading scale
- For the Excellence scholarship: have an admission average of a minimum of 90% once converted in our grading
- be newly admitted in one of the following undergraduate programs offered in English or with the French Immersion
• Engineering: Civil Engineering; Chemical Engineering
• Social sciences: Sociology; Anthropology; International Development and Globalization; Conflict Studies; Public Administration
• Sciences: All programs except the Honours BSc in Biochemistry / BASc in Chemical Engineering; Honours BSc in Physics/BASc in Electrical Engineering; and Honours BSc in Ophthalmic Medical Technology
Method of Application
Visit The Official Scholarship to Apply
- First the student has to apply here: https://www.ouac.on.ca/ouac-105/
- Then the University would receive the application and generate a Student Number which the prospective student would use to login to the school’s portal, UOZone, and then submit their results and documents for review.
- After a successful review, they will be offered a conditional admission offer which will include the scholarship depending on their average.
The submission deadline for all 2022 nominations is by 5:00 p.m., Central Time, on or before 31st March, 2022.
For more information about the Entrance & Excellence Scholarships, contact Collins.email@example.com or
Application Deadline: April 1, 2024.